Probe ordered into leakage of Army Chief`s age documents
New Delhi: The Army on Thursday ordered a probe
into the "leakage" of documents related to the age of Chief of
Army Staff General V K Singh, an issue which has generated a
lot of controversy in the media.
Sources declined to give the designation of the
official who would conduct the inquiry nor whether any
time-frame has been set up but it is understood that it would
be done by an officer of the rank of Major General.
The inquiry will look into the source of leakage of
documents. The age-related documents of top Army officers are
generally held in the custody of the Military Secretary and
could have been leaked prior to the taking over of the present
The controversy over Army Chief`s age resurfaced after
the Law Ministry gave an opinion that his date of birth was
May 10, 1951 as it was there in his matriculation certificate
and not May 10, 1950 as filled in his UPSC form.
For replying to an RTI application, the Army had
sought Law Ministry`s opinion for determining the basis for
Army Chief`s age.
The Army chief`s date of birth varied in the records
of the Adjutant General`s and Military Secretary`s branches.
The AG branch, the official record keeper for salary and
pension, has May 10, 1951 as Singh`s date of birth but the
Military Secretary`s (MS) branch, in charge of promotions and
postings, records his date of birth as May 10, 1950.
Gen Singh is supposed to retire on June 1, 2012 but if
the other date of birth is accepted, he may get another ten
months in office. As per rules, an Army Chief can serve for
three years or up to the age of 62, whichever is earlier.
The issue will also determine as to who will succeed
Gen Singh in office if he retires in June 2012, Lt Gen
Bikram Singh will be the most-likely successor and if he gets
an extension, Lt Gen K T Parnaik would be the likely
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'