Process for shifting Jamia Metro station fast tracked
New Delhi: The Delhi Metro has fast tracked the process to conduct a study on shifting the location of the proposed Jamia Nagar Metro station from the gardens of Jamia Millia Islamia after the institution opposed it citing security concerns.
The station will be shifted by 100 to 200 metres but will be built within the sprawling campus of the prestigious Central university, which is expected to benefit students and people living in densely-populated areas like Jamia Nagar, Zakir Nagar and Batla House.
The study to explore feasibility of shifting the station from the gardens, which is right in front of the administrative block, was ordered last week after Vice- Chancellor Najib Jung opposed it saying it would bring in safety issues for women students.
However, after talks Jung agreed for shifting of the station from the current location to a spot within the varsity campus.
"The work on the study has already begun and we will complete it in next two to three days. By this week, we will be able to take a final decision (on shifting of the station)," a source said.
Earlier, the station was to be constructed on the gardens of the varsity but it is likely to be built 100 to 200 metres away by razing a couple of buildings, the source said.
The source said new drawings and other technical details are being prepared keeping in mind the change of location. A Metro station in the area which has poor transport facilities would help thousands of people in Jamia Nagar, Batla House and Zakir Nagar.
The new spot which has been suggested is right where Jamia Nagar begins and it would be closer to the residential areas.
The station around the Jamia Milia Islamia campus would benefit at least 20,000 people, including students, daily once Metro operations start on the corridor.
Jung had contented earlier that a station inside the campus will have security issues and may disrupt campus life in the area.
"I have no objection to the Metro. It is a very good idea. Our only objection is to a Metro station being inside the campus because it brings major security issues for us," he had told a news agency last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says