Proclaimed offender nabbed by Delhi police
New Delhi: A man who was evading the law for
past seven years after he was accused of standing surety for
criminals using forged documents, was arrested here, police
The arrested has been identified as Ram Avtar, who was
declared a proclaimed offender by a local court.
He had also stood surety for Mohd Aftab Ansari, a dreaded
criminal hailing from Varanasi (UP) who presently lodged in a
west Bengal jail, by posing as one Salim, police claimed.
Officials recovered fake documents like photo IDs in the
name of one Harichand. His intention was to use the same to
stand surety for some accused, they said.
"He has reportedly stood as bogus surety with pseudonyms
and addresses to many other accused persons in various courts
of Delhi," they said.
Avtar told police he had stood surety for Ansari in Ashok
Vihar encounter case of 1995, claiming himself to be Salim,
and Ansari was subsequently released on bail.
Later, it was found that the credentials of the
sureties were fake and a case was registered. Avtar was
arrested in January 2003 and was released on bail.
"However, since he was not appearing in this case
before the trial court, he was declared a proclaimed offender
this February," police said.
He was now using the name of Harichand and was in
possession among other fake documents, an ID card of an LDC in
Delhi Transport Corporation`s Nand Nagari Depot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir