Production warrants issued against Abu Salem
New Delhi: A Delhi court, which was to
hear the bail plea of underworld don Abu Salem in an extortion
case, today issued production warrant against him for October
26 after the Mumbai jail authorities failed to bring him.
"Issue fresh production warrant against accused Abu
Salem for October 26," Additional Chief Metropolitan
Magistrate Kiran Bansal said, adjourning the hearing on the
Salem, extradited from Portugal in 2005 to face trial
in various cases including that of 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts, is
facing trial along with Romesh Sharma, alleged front-man of
underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, for hatching a conspiracy to
extort money from three persons based here.
A FIR was lodged at Hauz Khas police station in 1998
under 384 (extortion) and 120B (conspiracy) of IPC.
Arvind Shukla, counsel for Salem, said "he (Salem) was
entitled to release on the ground that he has spent three
years in jail, which is more than the prescribed punishment
for the offence of extortion under section 384 of the IPC."
Seeking bail on statutory grounds, he said "the
provision of section 436A under the CrPC has been inserted for
granting bail to accused who has completed half of maximum
period of imprisonment specified for that offence under law."
Salem was extradited in connection with Mumbai blasts,
passport forgery cases in Lucknow and Hyderabad, three
extortion cases and a conspiracy to murder in Delhi and Pradip
Jain case in Mumbai.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know