Production warrants issued against Abu Salem
New Delhi: A Delhi court, which was to
hear the bail plea of underworld don Abu Salem in an extortion
case, today issued production warrant against him for October
26 after the Mumbai jail authorities failed to bring him.
"Issue fresh production warrant against accused Abu
Salem for October 26," Additional Chief Metropolitan
Magistrate Kiran Bansal said, adjourning the hearing on the
Salem, extradited from Portugal in 2005 to face trial
in various cases including that of 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts, is
facing trial along with Romesh Sharma, alleged front-man of
underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, for hatching a conspiracy to
extort money from three persons based here.
A FIR was lodged at Hauz Khas police station in 1998
under 384 (extortion) and 120B (conspiracy) of IPC.
Arvind Shukla, counsel for Salem, said "he (Salem) was
entitled to release on the ground that he has spent three
years in jail, which is more than the prescribed punishment
for the offence of extortion under section 384 of the IPC."
Seeking bail on statutory grounds, he said "the
provision of section 436A under the CrPC has been inserted for
granting bail to accused who has completed half of maximum
period of imprisonment specified for that offence under law."
Salem was extradited in connection with Mumbai blasts,
passport forgery cases in Lucknow and Hyderabad, three
extortion cases and a conspiracy to murder in Delhi and Pradip
Jain case in Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!