Promotion recommended for Lt Gen under CBI scanner
New Delhi: As CBI looks into Army Chief General V K Singh`s letter seeking probe into the allegations
of corruption against Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, Defence
Minister A K Antony disclosed on Thursday that the official has been
recommended for promotion as a Commander of a sector.
However, the Minister said he was not aware of the Army
Chief referring a complaint of corruption levelled against the
Lt Gen by a Trinamool Congress to CBI.
"Sometime back, during one of the meetings, the Army
Chief told me about the particular Lt Gen. Immediately I told
him if there is any specific complaint he must take action.
"But lately, the Army headquarters sent a proposal to
send him as Army Commander in one sector. I think the proposal
is of March 22 to make him Army Commander. The Defence
Secretary cleared it and when I checked up today in my office,
it is pending. So, this is my information. The other thing
(CBI inquiry) I don`t know," he said.
A media report revealing the Army Chief`s action of
referring the complaint against Lt Gen Suhag, who is in line
to be the Army Chief after Lt Gen Bikram Singh, came on top of
a battle of attrition between the government and Gen V K Singh
in the last few days.
Meanwhile, CBI sources said it has received Gen Singh`s
covering letter along with the complaint from the TMC MP
Ambika Banerjee relating to some corruption in a procurement
It is likely to write to Cabinet Secretariat and Defence
Ministry seeking records of purchases in the Special Frontier
TMC MP Banerjee had written the letter to the Defence
Ministry in May last year, the sources said. Gen Suhag
commands the Dimapur-based 3 Corps.
Gen Singh has now requested the CBI to carry out the
probe into the allegations of corruption levelled by the MP in
the deals of Special Frontier Force(SFF) when Gen Suhag was
its Inspector General, the sources said. The Force works with
Indian external intelligence agency Research and Analysis Wing
Banerjee has alleged that kickbacks were paid in the
deals relating to supply of crucial equipment for the secret
force ranging from night vision devices to parachutes, the
The MP has named a number of senior army officers who
have allegedly received kickbacks in these SFF deals, they
The SFF, also known as Establishment-22, is a secret
force raised after 1962 works under the RAW which comes under
the control of Cabinet Secretariat.
According to recent media reports, the force is facing a
severe shortage of crucial equipment like parachutes as
procurements were halted after allegations of irregularities
in their procurement were brought to light by officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA