Proposal for raising income ceiling of OBC creamy layer deferred
New Delhi: Government on Thursday deferred a proposal by the Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry to raise the income ceiling from Rs 4.5 lakh per annum to Rs 6 lakh of the creamy layer OBC candidates applying for government jobs and admission into premier educational institutions.
Official sources said the proposal, which was placed before the Cabinet today, has been deferred by it. The Ministry had sought a revision of the present income ceiling from Rs 4.5 lakh to Rs 6 lakh per candidate.
The revision was sought by the Ministry to ensure eligibility of more OBC candidates in higher education institutions and government jobs, the sources said.
The creamy layer income ceiling was increased from Rs 2.5 lakh to Rs 4.5 lakh in 2008, but even that could not achieve the desired result of filling the available vacancy under the OBC category.
Recently, the Ministry had sought increasing the creamy layer income ceiling to Rs 12 lakh in urban areas and Rs 9 lakh in rural areas, which too was rejected by the government.
The proposal was made keeping in mind the present inflationary trend and other factors such as the cost of living, the sources said.
Under the present arrangement, the OBC creamy layer can get reservation while seeking admission in premier educational institutions such as the IIT`s and IIMs. But the seats reserved there have remained vacant due to unavailability of candidates.
Meanwhile, aiming to address the educational needs of the students from the backward communities, the Cabinet gave its nod for a new scholarship scheme for the Scheduled Caste students.
The Post-Matric Scholarship Scheme will specifically address the students studying in standard 9th and 10th. Besides taking care of fees, the scholarship will also address the cost of books and reading materials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM