Proposal to rename Chandni Chowk draws flak
New Delhi: A proposal before the Municipal
Corporation of Delhi to rename Chandni Chowk after Sachin
Tendulkar has drawn flak from a body chaired by Press Council
Chairperson Justice Markandey Katju which also has several
legal luminaries on its board.
Claiming that any move to rename Chandni Chowk was an
insult to the cultural heritage of the country, the Dr. K N
Katju Memorial Trust has shot off a letter to the Delhi Mayor
Rajni Abbi opposing any such demand.
"In today’s National Dailies we have read news that you
plan to change the name of Chandni Chowk to Sachin Tendulkar
Chowk! This is a most objectionable and ridiculous move of
yours," the letter stated.
"Chandni Chowk was built by Shahjehan the Emperor and by
changing the name you are going to do a great dis-service to
the history of this great old city," the letter added.
Delhi Mayor Rajni Abbi had on Tuesday said that MCD has
received representations from hundreds of people to honour
Tendulkar but no decision has been taken yet. A proposal to
rename Chandni Chowk after Tendulkar was also among them, she
The letter claimed that Mirza Ghalib had referred to
Chandni Chowk in one of his letters, which meant that it was
known as Chandni Chowk for a very long time.
"Chandni Chowk is a part of the cultural heritage of
India. By changing its name you will be insulting our great
old cultural heritage," the letter claimed.
While Justice Markandey Katju is the Chairman of the
Trust on whose behalf the letter was sent, several other
luminaries are associated with it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya