Protest against petrol price hike hits Delhi traffic
New Delhi: Activists of BJP, and Left parties CPI(M) and SUCI held separate protests against the hike in petrol prices, bringing traffic to a standstill for some time in parts of the national capital on Monday morning.
Demanding rollback of petrol price hike, the BJP held traffic blockade agitation at 14 places in the city, while CPI(M) and SUCI held separate protests at Parliament Street.
BJP leaders claimed that a large number of its activists were arrested by police during the protest.
Raising anti-government slogans, they blocked traffic at Akshardham, Moti Nagar, Hanmdard T-Point on MB Road, Khajuri Chowk, Ashok Vihar, Jahangir Puri, Motinagar, Subhash Nagar, Uttam Nagar, Khanpur T-point, Welcome, Madhuban Chowk and Gandhi Nagar.
BJP leaders Vijay Goel, Vijender Gupta and others led protests at various locations. The party had yesterday held rallies at five places.
Gupta, chief of Delhi BJP, said, "Just after the conclusion of election process in five states the UPA government has imposed a big burden of price spiral on the people."
CPI(M) protesters blocked traffic on Parliament Street for some time.
Addressing the CPI(M) protest, senior leader Dipankar Mukherjee said the government was directly responsible for increasing petrol prices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video