Protest against petrol price hike hits Delhi traffic
New Delhi: Activists of BJP, and Left parties CPI(M) and SUCI held separate protests against the hike in petrol prices, bringing traffic to a standstill for some time in parts of the national capital on Monday morning.
Demanding rollback of petrol price hike, the BJP held traffic blockade agitation at 14 places in the city, while CPI(M) and SUCI held separate protests at Parliament Street.
BJP leaders claimed that a large number of its activists were arrested by police during the protest.
Raising anti-government slogans, they blocked traffic at Akshardham, Moti Nagar, Hanmdard T-Point on MB Road, Khajuri Chowk, Ashok Vihar, Jahangir Puri, Motinagar, Subhash Nagar, Uttam Nagar, Khanpur T-point, Welcome, Madhuban Chowk and Gandhi Nagar.
BJP leaders Vijay Goel, Vijender Gupta and others led protests at various locations. The party had yesterday held rallies at five places.
Gupta, chief of Delhi BJP, said, "Just after the conclusion of election process in five states the UPA government has imposed a big burden of price spiral on the people."
CPI(M) protesters blocked traffic on Parliament Street for some time.
Addressing the CPI(M) protest, senior leader Dipankar Mukherjee said the government was directly responsible for increasing petrol prices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune