Protest in Delhi over Kolkata student`s death
New Delhi: Over a hundred students of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) Wednesday demonstrated here to protest the death of a student activist in Kolkata.
The protestors gathered at Banga Bhawan on Hailey Road in central Delhi and shouted slogans against the death of Sudipto Gupta of the Students Federation of India, the students wing of the Communist Party of India-Marxist.
"Our demand is that all those involved in the incident should be punished," JNU Student`s Union president Lenin told IANS.
Carrying placards and banners, the students also raised slogans against the West Bengal government and criticised its inaction.
Some students also tried to scale the perimeter wall of the building, and were stopped by police.
"This is the first time that a student died in police custody. Action should be taken against the errant police officers," said Siddhartha Kumar, a JNU student and protestor.
Gupta, an activist of the SFI, Tuesday died of a head injury in the custody of Kolkata Police after participating in a protest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India