Protest in Delhi over Kolkata student`s death
New Delhi: Over a hundred students of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) Wednesday demonstrated here to protest the death of a student activist in Kolkata.
The protestors gathered at Banga Bhawan on Hailey Road in central Delhi and shouted slogans against the death of Sudipto Gupta of the Students Federation of India, the students wing of the Communist Party of India-Marxist.
"Our demand is that all those involved in the incident should be punished," JNU Student`s Union president Lenin told IANS.
Carrying placards and banners, the students also raised slogans against the West Bengal government and criticised its inaction.
Some students also tried to scale the perimeter wall of the building, and were stopped by police.
"This is the first time that a student died in police custody. Action should be taken against the errant police officers," said Siddhartha Kumar, a JNU student and protestor.
Gupta, an activist of the SFI, Tuesday died of a head injury in the custody of Kolkata Police after participating in a protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH