Protest in Delhi over Kolkata student`s death
New Delhi: Over a hundred students of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) Wednesday demonstrated here to protest the death of a student activist in Kolkata.
The protestors gathered at Banga Bhawan on Hailey Road in central Delhi and shouted slogans against the death of Sudipto Gupta of the Students Federation of India, the students wing of the Communist Party of India-Marxist.
"Our demand is that all those involved in the incident should be punished," JNU Student`s Union president Lenin told IANS.
Carrying placards and banners, the students also raised slogans against the West Bengal government and criticised its inaction.
Some students also tried to scale the perimeter wall of the building, and were stopped by police.
"This is the first time that a student died in police custody. Action should be taken against the errant police officers," said Siddhartha Kumar, a JNU student and protestor.
Gupta, an activist of the SFI, Tuesday died of a head injury in the custody of Kolkata Police after participating in a protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?