Protest in Home Ministry over non-payment of wages
New Delhi: Union Home Ministry, the nerve centre of country`s internal security on Wednesday witnessed a protest by over 200 contractual employees outside the office of a senior official over non-payment of dues.
As many as 204 employees stood outside the office of Joint Secretary (Administration) Bhagwan Shankar inside the ministry in support of their demand for release of wages.
The Home Ministry had hired the services of a private manpower firm -- Xecute Solutions -- in 2011 under which these 204 employees -- 99 data entry operators and 105 peons -- were provided.
Every month, the Ministry used to release Rs 18,43,239 from miscellaneous head of its budget towards meeting the wage bill of these employees.
As per the agreement, the Ministry paid Rs 9,876 for every data entry operator and Rs 8,243 for a peon to the company which in turn paid Rs 7,500 to operators and Rs 6,321 to peons, Shankar told reporters after pacifying the employees.
He said the ministry had conveyed to the service providing company in October last year that MHA`s funds under miscellaneous head had exhausted and they would be able to pay the remaining dues only in 2013-14 fiscal.
However, in the wake of the agitation, the ministry immediately released the March 2013 salary with an assurance that the remaining wage would be released only by June this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview