Protest `instant reaction` on Kejriwal detention: AAP to DEO
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Friday replied to the show cause notice issued by District Election Officer (DEO) on the protest outside BJP headquarters, saying it was an "instant reaction" to its chief Arvind Kejriwal`s detention in Gujarat.
In its reply, AAP said the protest was not a "planned event" and maintained that it respects the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) in force ahead of Lok Sabha polls scheduled to begin from next month, officials said.
The protest was an instant reaction to the happenings in Gujarat and it was not any part of campaigning for party candidate, the party said.
The party said it respects the Model Code of Conduct and will cooperate with Election Commission in implementing it.
The reply to the notice was filed to Ameya Abhiyankar, DEO by the party`s General Secretary Pankaj Gupta.
"We have received the reply from Aam Aadmi Party. The reply is under examination. We will send our reports to the Election Commission tomorrow," Abhiyankar told.
The AAP was served a notice by the DEO for alleged violation of the Model Code of Conduct over Wednesday`s violent protest outside BJP headquarters here.
The party was asked to reply within 24 hours as to why action should not be initiated against it for holding the protest without permission from poll officials and violating the poll code of conduct.
In a related development, Delhi Police had in its report accused Aam Aadmi Party protesters of indulging in "riotous acts and using criminal force" to prevent it from discharging their duty with regard to Wednesday`s protest that had turned violent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch