Protest on NH 24: UP Police registers FIR against 500 persons
Ghaziabad/New Delhi: The Uttar Pradesh Police has registered an FIR against 500 unidentified persons for damaging public property, indulging in arson and blocking the highway in connection with protests by scores of minority community members on National Highway-24.
The Delhi Police has also arrested two persons for rioting during the protest on Monday.
"An FIR has been registered against 500 unidentified persons at Indirapuram Police Station for damaging public property, arson attack and blocking national highway. We are taking the help of videos of the protest from news channels to identify persons involved in illegal activities during the protest," Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Ran Vijay Singh said.
The DSP said police have taken strict note of the protest.
A senior Delhi Police official, who didn`t wish to be named, said, "We have so far arrested two persons for rioting during Monday`s protest. Delhi Police will soon come out with some more arrest."
Commuters in East Delhi had a harrowing time on Monday due to protest by scores of minority community members against alleged attempts to grab prime wakf land in the national capital.
Trouble had started after thousands of people travelling in around 60 buses tried to enter Delhi via Ghazipur border in the afternoon. As Ghaziabad and Delhi police foiled their attempt, the protesters had resorted to arson by burning a mini-truck and two cars.
The protesters were keen to reach Jor Bagh to join a protest against alleged attempt to grab wakf land by a Congress leader belonging to the minority community.
Subsequently, they had staged a protest on NH-24 leading to massive traffic jam that caused immense hardship to office-goers and others travelling to East Delhi and Ghaziabad till late at night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead