Protest on NH 24: UP Police registers FIR against 500 persons
Ghaziabad/New Delhi: The Uttar Pradesh Police has registered an FIR against 500 unidentified persons for damaging public property, indulging in arson and blocking the highway in connection with protests by scores of minority community members on National Highway-24.
The Delhi Police has also arrested two persons for rioting during the protest on Monday.
"An FIR has been registered against 500 unidentified persons at Indirapuram Police Station for damaging public property, arson attack and blocking national highway. We are taking the help of videos of the protest from news channels to identify persons involved in illegal activities during the protest," Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Ran Vijay Singh said.
The DSP said police have taken strict note of the protest.
A senior Delhi Police official, who didn`t wish to be named, said, "We have so far arrested two persons for rioting during Monday`s protest. Delhi Police will soon come out with some more arrest."
Commuters in East Delhi had a harrowing time on Monday due to protest by scores of minority community members against alleged attempts to grab prime wakf land in the national capital.
Trouble had started after thousands of people travelling in around 60 buses tried to enter Delhi via Ghazipur border in the afternoon. As Ghaziabad and Delhi police foiled their attempt, the protesters had resorted to arson by burning a mini-truck and two cars.
The protesters were keen to reach Jor Bagh to join a protest against alleged attempt to grab wakf land by a Congress leader belonging to the minority community.
Subsequently, they had staged a protest on NH-24 leading to massive traffic jam that caused immense hardship to office-goers and others travelling to East Delhi and Ghaziabad till late at night.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!