Protests against attack on Delhi Congress MLA
New Delhi: Scores of protesters today staged a demonstration at Jantar Mantar here in connection with the alleged attack on Delhi Congress MLA Hasan Ahmad by a group of youths in Lucknow during a press conference.
The protesters, led by Congress MLA from Seelampur Matin Ahmed and Hasan Ahmad`s brother reached Jantar Mantar at around 1:30 PM and staged a demonstration. They shouted slogans and also burned the effigy of Shia cleric Kalbe Jawwad.
The protesters condemned the attack and alleged that it took place on the behest of Jawwad and demanded police action against him.
Police said that they had sought prior permission to stage a protest and they dispersed themselves after the demonstration.
The incident took place yesterday in Lucknow when around 15-20 youths entered the hotel premises, where Hasan, who has been appointed observer by Congress for Uttar Pradesh, was addressing a press conference and manhandled him.
"They (attackers) said that you are here to talk against Kalbe Jawwad (Shia cleric) and started manhandling me. They also attacked me with cold drink bottle", Hasan had told reporters after the attack.
He also said that he has lodged an FIR in this regard. When contacted, the person who picked Jawwad`s phone said that he was not available.
Jawwad had recently issued an appeal not to vote for Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore