Protests against attack on Delhi Congress MLA
New Delhi: Scores of protesters today staged a demonstration at Jantar Mantar here in connection with the alleged attack on Delhi Congress MLA Hasan Ahmad by a group of youths in Lucknow during a press conference.
The protesters, led by Congress MLA from Seelampur Matin Ahmed and Hasan Ahmad`s brother reached Jantar Mantar at around 1:30 PM and staged a demonstration. They shouted slogans and also burned the effigy of Shia cleric Kalbe Jawwad.
The protesters condemned the attack and alleged that it took place on the behest of Jawwad and demanded police action against him.
Police said that they had sought prior permission to stage a protest and they dispersed themselves after the demonstration.
The incident took place yesterday in Lucknow when around 15-20 youths entered the hotel premises, where Hasan, who has been appointed observer by Congress for Uttar Pradesh, was addressing a press conference and manhandled him.
"They (attackers) said that you are here to talk against Kalbe Jawwad (Shia cleric) and started manhandling me. They also attacked me with cold drink bottle", Hasan had told reporters after the attack.
He also said that he has lodged an FIR in this regard. When contacted, the person who picked Jawwad`s phone said that he was not available.
Jawwad had recently issued an appeal not to vote for Congress.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference