Protests against attack on Delhi Congress MLA
New Delhi: Scores of protesters today staged a demonstration at Jantar Mantar here in connection with the alleged attack on Delhi Congress MLA Hasan Ahmad by a group of youths in Lucknow during a press conference.
The protesters, led by Congress MLA from Seelampur Matin Ahmed and Hasan Ahmad`s brother reached Jantar Mantar at around 1:30 PM and staged a demonstration. They shouted slogans and also burned the effigy of Shia cleric Kalbe Jawwad.
The protesters condemned the attack and alleged that it took place on the behest of Jawwad and demanded police action against him.
Police said that they had sought prior permission to stage a protest and they dispersed themselves after the demonstration.
The incident took place yesterday in Lucknow when around 15-20 youths entered the hotel premises, where Hasan, who has been appointed observer by Congress for Uttar Pradesh, was addressing a press conference and manhandled him.
"They (attackers) said that you are here to talk against Kalbe Jawwad (Shia cleric) and started manhandling me. They also attacked me with cold drink bottle", Hasan had told reporters after the attack.
He also said that he has lodged an FIR in this regard. When contacted, the person who picked Jawwad`s phone said that he was not available.
Jawwad had recently issued an appeal not to vote for Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read