Protests against Telangana creation hit national capital
New Delhi: Protesters took to the streets in the national capital on Sunday, voicing their demand against the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh and, with it, the creation of Telangana, and alleged that ruling Congress Party is playing vote bank politics.
"Some people want to divide Andhra for their vote bank politics. They should take this decision not to bifurcate Andhra people," a protester, Jaishree Laxmi said. The Congress Working Committee had earlier announced that Telangana would be carved out of Andhra Pradesh, an announcement that triggered multiple protests for separate statehood throughout the country.
In spite of protests, Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh affirmed that the decision on creating Telangana was final. “The CWC decision is final and this decision has been taken after extensive consultation with all political parties. Therefore, what we have said in the CWC meeting, we stand by that. We shall do everything that is possible to see that the concerns of the people of Seemandhra-whether it is the NGO`s or the students or the people of Seemandhra-are addressed," Singh said.
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi had set up a Committee, chaired by AK Antony, to address the concerns of the people over the creation of Telangana.
Demanding the Centre keep Andhra Pradesh united, more and more groups of people like auto rickshaw drivers, hotel managers associations are taking part in the protest demonstrations being held across the two regions of Rayalaseema and Coastal Andhra.
Medical practitioners, lawyers and other professionals held rallies at several places. Managements of private educational institutes in Rayalaseema region continued their shutdown, while business entities remained closed at several places.
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde has said that the process for the formation of the new state of Telangana would take about five to six months as per constitutional norms.
"The Congress Working Committee (CWC) has passed a resolution and further procedure will be done according to the Constitution of India. Telangana will be formed by following all the procedures and it would take five to six months," he said.
He also added that Telangana was being formed because it was the oldest issue and the people of that region have been agitating and demanding the formation of a separate state since 1956.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues