Protests in Delhi over Gaza crisis
New Delhi: Nearly 250 people, including activists, artists and school children, protested here demanding India should boycott all collaborations and end military ties with Israel because of its continued operations in Gaza.
Representatives from 70 organisations gathered at the Jantar Mantar Saturday evening. They issued statements and speeches, and recited songs and poetry that labeled Israel as "intruders" who had encroached illegally on Palestinian territory.
"We want our government to boycott all forms of direct and indirect collaborations with Israel and end all military ties with Israel, including purchase of arms," said activist Shabnam Hashmi.
Shahid Ali, the president of United Muslim Front, asked how would anyone feel if an "intruder comes into your house and claimed it to be his?"
"The same thing has happened with Palestinians. The land which Israel is claiming to be their own is actually of Palestinians. When they refused, Israel started brutally killing them. They didn`t even spare children and women," he said.
Many protestors wore masks depicting Prime Minister Narendra Modi and shouted slogans "Modi stop supporting Israel".
School children too protested against Israeli`s brutal air strikes on the Gaza strip that has killed over 1,800 Palestinians, most of them civilians.
The children carried banners that read "Save Gaza People".
Malviks Aeron, a student of class 8, recited a poem titled "I dream if I were a Palestinian".
"I am here for peace in the world. I am here to show that we have zero tolerance towards violence. And I want friendship among all the nations of the world," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey