Protests in UK against Delhi gang-rape
London: Protests against the rape of a 23-year-old paramedical student in Delhi continued to find their echo in the UK with a number of organisations planning major demonstrations over the next few weeks.
Southall Black Sisters, a well-known ethnic minority women`s rights organisation based in west London, has planned a protest meet outside the Indian High Commission here on Monday.
Rahila Gupta, member of the managing committee of Southall Black Sisters, told PTI that the primary motive of the demonstration is to "show solidarity with the progressive sections of Indian women".
"It looks like it is going to be absolutely massive. We have extended the hours till 7 pm after extraordinary demands from working women who wanted to join the protest. We hear there are coach loads arriving from Birmingham and many of our 900 Facebook supporters are also expected," Gupta said.
"Clearly passions are running equally high in this country and we expect protesters from our community and beyond," she added.
The South Asia Solidarity group, a UK-based rights organisation which is supporting Monday`s protest, is also organising meetings, discussions and protests alongside other women`s rights bodies, including one on Republic Day.
"It is important to realise that protests on this magnitude have never taken place anywhere in the world against rape and sexual violence. It is like a spark," Amrit Wilson, spokesperson of the group, said.
"Women in India have inspired people all over the world, as protests spread to Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. Women around the world are saying enough," Wilson added.
Candlelit vigils and condolence meets have also been organised here by several South Asian groups since the news of the Delhi rape victim`s death in a Singapore hospital broke on December 29.
CAREducation Trust UK and BigHug Foundation, both UK-based charities for under-privileged children, teamed up for the "Save Our Sisters Candlelight Vigil" at the Gandhi statue in London`s Tavistock Square today.
"There are already quite a few people here and we are expecting a few hundred more. Our aim is to try and create a voice to show our support for the injustice of women in India," said Nirav Shah of the CAREducation Trust UK from the meet.
Pravasi Bharat, a humanitarian group which organised a candlelit vigil last week, has also submitted a petition for the Indian Prime Minister to the Indian High Commission in London.
"We cannot be silent when we hear of these unfortunate brutal incidents. The pressure from each corner of the world is on now to draw strict law. Hope the Government of India will consider our demand for strict law and fast-track courts to resolve sexual assault cases," Nagendar Chindam, chairman of the group, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’