`Provide land for public projects at concessional rates`
New Delhi: Facing difficulties in getting land from the DDA for setting up infrastructure, the Delhi government on Tuesday appealed to the Urban Development Ministry to provide land for such projects and accept its recommendations for the same at face value.
"We will ask the Urban Development Ministry to give Delhi government the land (for building infrastructure projects for public purposes like hospitals, schools, community centres) at concessional rates or free of cost," Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit told reporters here after a Cabinet meeting.
In stark contrast to other states and UTs, where the respective governments have administrative control over land, Dikshit said, land is not under the purview of the city government and the Central government has the final say in the matter pertaining to land.
The city government has to spend huge amount on allotment of land by the Delhi Development Authority.
She said whenever the Delhi government asks for land for such projects, the UD Ministry should take it on face value instead of carrying out on their own queries whether a particular school was required or not and so on.
"It takes months to arrive at a decision," she said.
Further, she said, the DDA has laid down a schedule of rates for lands to be allotted to the city government for development and non-commercial uses.
The DDA has raised the rates of allotment for land for bus terminals from Rs 234.68 lakh to Rs 414.37 lakh per acre; for hospitals or old-age homes from Rs 188.19 lakh per acre to Rs 300.15 lakh per acre and fixed rate of Rs 253 lakh per acre for technical education institutions.
The financial implications alone would be around Rs 900 crore if the city government decides to set up bus depots to house 5,000 buses, she said.
Dikshit said her government would communicate to the Centre that as the DDA has a surplus fund of Rs 22,060 crore, it must be asked to facilitate infrastructural development for public purposes by granting exemption of land cost to the city government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY