`Punish drug peddlers severely to curb its use`
New Delhi: Drug peddlers should be punished severely to curb its use by youngsters, a Delhi court has said while jailing a youth, caught having 520 gm of cannabis, for five years.
"The consumption of narcotics by young generation in the society can be curbed only by restricting its circulation in the society by imposing severe sentence (on those found guilty of dealing in drugs)," Additional Sessions Judge Ramesh Kumar said, sentencing the youth.
"The circulation of the contraband in the society pollutes the mind of the young generation in the cities, particularly, in the metropolitan cities like Delhi," ASJ Kumar added, while also imposing a fine of Rs 1 lakh on Delhi resident Naresh alias Nawal.
The police had apprehended him on February on February 19, 2010 midnight with a polythene bag having 520 grams of a contraband, which was found to be cannabis after its forensic test.
"Once it is proved, that the contraband has been recovered from the possession of the convict and all the legal requirements have been complied with, the cases under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, should be dealt with severely," the judge said while denying leniency to the convict, who sought mercy from the court on the ground of being young.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official