`Punish drug peddlers severely to curb its use`
New Delhi: Drug peddlers should be punished severely to curb its use by youngsters, a Delhi court has said while jailing a youth, caught having 520 gm of cannabis, for five years.
"The consumption of narcotics by young generation in the society can be curbed only by restricting its circulation in the society by imposing severe sentence (on those found guilty of dealing in drugs)," Additional Sessions Judge Ramesh Kumar said, sentencing the youth.
"The circulation of the contraband in the society pollutes the mind of the young generation in the cities, particularly, in the metropolitan cities like Delhi," ASJ Kumar added, while also imposing a fine of Rs 1 lakh on Delhi resident Naresh alias Nawal.
The police had apprehended him on February on February 19, 2010 midnight with a polythene bag having 520 grams of a contraband, which was found to be cannabis after its forensic test.
"Once it is proved, that the contraband has been recovered from the possession of the convict and all the legal requirements have been complied with, the cases under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, should be dealt with severely," the judge said while denying leniency to the convict, who sought mercy from the court on the ground of being young.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Now, Nashik farmers sell fresh grapes online!
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Mumbai: Mobile app to fight ISIS influence among youth across India
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen