`Punish drug peddlers severely to curb its use`
New Delhi: Drug peddlers should be punished severely to curb its use by youngsters, a Delhi court has said while jailing a youth, caught having 520 gm of cannabis, for five years.
"The consumption of narcotics by young generation in the society can be curbed only by restricting its circulation in the society by imposing severe sentence (on those found guilty of dealing in drugs)," Additional Sessions Judge Ramesh Kumar said, sentencing the youth.
"The circulation of the contraband in the society pollutes the mind of the young generation in the cities, particularly, in the metropolitan cities like Delhi," ASJ Kumar added, while also imposing a fine of Rs 1 lakh on Delhi resident Naresh alias Nawal.
The police had apprehended him on February on February 19, 2010 midnight with a polythene bag having 520 grams of a contraband, which was found to be cannabis after its forensic test.
"Once it is proved, that the contraband has been recovered from the possession of the convict and all the legal requirements have been complied with, the cases under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, should be dealt with severely," the judge said while denying leniency to the convict, who sought mercy from the court on the ground of being young.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...