Purohit not asked to infiltrate right wing organisations: Army
New Delhi: Malegaon blast accused Lt Col Shrikant Prasad Purohit was not authorised to infiltrate into any right wing group including `Abhinav Bharat` as a Military Intelligence officer, Army officials said today rejecting his claims in this regard.
The former MI officer, facing both civilian and military trial, had recently claimed that he had "infiltrated" the Hindu radical outfit, which was allegedly involved in the 2008 attack, and kept his bosses in the loop on the issue.
The officer was not authorised to infiltrate into any right wing group as that is not the mandate for personnel of the Military Intelligence, army sources said here.
The Court of Inquiry (CoI) ordered against him in 2009 has been completed and a report is on its way to the Army Headquarters where a decision will be taken on further action about the officer, they said.
They said the mandate of the CoI under a Brigadier was to find out whether he had violated the Army Act by having links with unauthorised individuals and organisations and not to probe whether Purohit was a terrorist.
The CoI against Purohit was first completed in 2010 but it had to be reconvened on the direction of the Armed Forces Tribunal (AFT) here in March last year as the officer was not accorded the opportunity to cross-examine some of the witnesses in the case.
However, the CoI could be reconvened only after a year and the officer got the opportunity to cross-examine the witnesses at Colaba in Mumbai in April.
The CoI againt Purohit had commenced on April 7, 2009 and first concluded on September 1, 2010 after recording the statements of all the witnesses and reportedly recommended his dismissal from service.
In his plea before the AFT, Purohit had alleged that he was given "extreme inhuman treatment" by one Colonel R K Srivastava during his interrogation.
Purohit had also contended that his trial by the CoI was invalid as proceedings against him were already on in a MCOCA court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in