Purulia case: CPI (M) demands answer from Cong, BJP
New Delhi: The CPI(M) on Thursday demanded a
judicial inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the 1995
Purulia arms drop, saying both the Congress and BJP have
a lot to explain in the matter and said Trinamool Congress was
a member of the Union Cabinet when Peter Bleach was released
on Presidential pardon.
"Both the Congress and the BJP led NDA have in one way
or the other allowed this mystery to remain unexplained. This,
in itself, gives credence to (key accused) Kim Davy`s
allegations," CPI(M) Politburo member Sitaram Yechury said.
In an editorial in the party organ `People`s Democracy`,
he said while Congress was "in its typically petty manner
crying hoarse that these revelations have come at this time to
damage the prospects of its alliance with Trinamool Congress",
Mamata Banerjee herself "was then a member of this cabinet"
when Bleach was released.
"It is absolutely essential in the interests of India`s
security to ensure that this extradition happens and Davy is
produced before the Indian courts and is duly punished.
"It is equally important that various lapses that have
occurred must be investigated and all questions concerning the
complicity of the then Congress central government and the
circumstances leading to the presidential pardon to Peter
Bleach by the then BJP led NDA government, must be
unambiguously answered in the interests of Indian democracy,"
He said this must be done by immediately constituting a
judicial enquiry into all these circumstances. "No attempt
to undermine our constitutional scheme of things can be
allowed or permitted," he said.
Terming it as "bizarre and unexplained" the decision
by the NDA government to release Bleach under a presidential
pardon, he said, "Incidentally, the Trinamool Congress chief
(Mamata Banerjee) was then a member of this cabinet when this
decision was taken.
"This decision by the NDA government came in the
background of a series of statements made earlier that there
was no question of any acceptance of Bleach`s plea for
clemency," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America