PWD minister attacks Lokayukta on Sheila censure
New Delhi: A day after the Lokayukta
slammed Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit for "misrepresenting"
facts about low cost houses, a Delhi Minister, who too had
earned the wrath of the anti-graft ombudsman on Tuesday attacked
the watchdog, saying it should not interfere in governance
"The Lokayukta`s mandate is to look into issues
relating to corruption and not to intervene on governance
related matters," PWD Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan, whose
removal was recommended by the Lokayukta earlier this year,
Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin yesterday slammed
Dikshit for "misrepresenting" facts by announcing in the run
up to 2008 assembly polls that 60,000 low-cost flats were
ready for handing over knowing well that the same were not
Critical of Lokayukta`s functioning, Chauhan said the
anti-corruption watchdog should not take up issues which are
not in his domain.
The Lokayukta had recommended to President Pratibha
Patil to "administer a caution" to the Chief Minister to be
careful in publication of her messages in future.
In February, the Lokayukta had recommended to the
President to "withdraw her pleasure" for Chauhan to continue
in office, alleging that he tried to protect a leading resort
from a tax evasion case.
The President rejected the recommendation last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj