PWD minister attacks Lokayukta on Sheila censure
New Delhi: A day after the Lokayukta
slammed Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit for "misrepresenting"
facts about low cost houses, a Delhi Minister, who too had
earned the wrath of the anti-graft ombudsman on Tuesday attacked
the watchdog, saying it should not interfere in governance
"The Lokayukta`s mandate is to look into issues
relating to corruption and not to intervene on governance
related matters," PWD Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan, whose
removal was recommended by the Lokayukta earlier this year,
Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin yesterday slammed
Dikshit for "misrepresenting" facts by announcing in the run
up to 2008 assembly polls that 60,000 low-cost flats were
ready for handing over knowing well that the same were not
Critical of Lokayukta`s functioning, Chauhan said the
anti-corruption watchdog should not take up issues which are
not in his domain.
The Lokayukta had recommended to President Pratibha
Patil to "administer a caution" to the Chief Minister to be
careful in publication of her messages in future.
In February, the Lokayukta had recommended to the
President to "withdraw her pleasure" for Chauhan to continue
in office, alleging that he tried to protect a leading resort
from a tax evasion case.
The President rejected the recommendation last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31