PWD minister attacks Lokayukta on Sheila censure
New Delhi: A day after the Lokayukta
slammed Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit for "misrepresenting"
facts about low cost houses, a Delhi Minister, who too had
earned the wrath of the anti-graft ombudsman on Tuesday attacked
the watchdog, saying it should not interfere in governance
"The Lokayukta`s mandate is to look into issues
relating to corruption and not to intervene on governance
related matters," PWD Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan, whose
removal was recommended by the Lokayukta earlier this year,
Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin yesterday slammed
Dikshit for "misrepresenting" facts by announcing in the run
up to 2008 assembly polls that 60,000 low-cost flats were
ready for handing over knowing well that the same were not
Critical of Lokayukta`s functioning, Chauhan said the
anti-corruption watchdog should not take up issues which are
not in his domain.
The Lokayukta had recommended to President Pratibha
Patil to "administer a caution" to the Chief Minister to be
careful in publication of her messages in future.
In February, the Lokayukta had recommended to the
President to "withdraw her pleasure" for Chauhan to continue
in office, alleging that he tried to protect a leading resort
from a tax evasion case.
The President rejected the recommendation last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi