PWD minister attacks Lokayukta on Sheila censure
New Delhi: A day after the Lokayukta
slammed Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit for "misrepresenting"
facts about low cost houses, a Delhi Minister, who too had
earned the wrath of the anti-graft ombudsman on Tuesday attacked
the watchdog, saying it should not interfere in governance
"The Lokayukta`s mandate is to look into issues
relating to corruption and not to intervene on governance
related matters," PWD Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan, whose
removal was recommended by the Lokayukta earlier this year,
Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin yesterday slammed
Dikshit for "misrepresenting" facts by announcing in the run
up to 2008 assembly polls that 60,000 low-cost flats were
ready for handing over knowing well that the same were not
Critical of Lokayukta`s functioning, Chauhan said the
anti-corruption watchdog should not take up issues which are
not in his domain.
The Lokayukta had recommended to President Pratibha
Patil to "administer a caution" to the Chief Minister to be
careful in publication of her messages in future.
In February, the Lokayukta had recommended to the
President to "withdraw her pleasure" for Chauhan to continue
in office, alleging that he tried to protect a leading resort
from a tax evasion case.
The President rejected the recommendation last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information