Question Hour `almost dead`, laments Speaker
New Delhi: Exasperated by frequent disruptions
during Question Hour, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Wednesday
lamented that it was becoming "almost dead".
A visibly disappointed Kumar made the observation when SP
members created uproar for the third consecutive day during
the Question Hour.
She disapproved of the action of SP members to storm the
Well despite one of their colleagues being allowed to raise an
issue concerning the arrest of Akhilesh Yadav, MP from Kannauj
and chief of the party`s Uttar Pradesh unit.
"You cannot disrupt the Question Hour in this fashion. You
cannot destroy the sanctity of the Question Hour. Just go back
to your seats," an angry Speaker told some SP members, who had
been storming the Well during Question Hour since Monday.
"The Question Hour is almost dead, there is need to
rejuvenate it," she said.
Earlier, Shailendra Kumar (SP) referred to the arrest of
Akhilesh Yadav at the Lucknow airport by the UP police today
when he was on his way to lead an agitation against the
The SP members stormed the Well after voicing their
concerns as the Speaker continued with the Question Hour amid
As this went on for a while, Minister of State in the PMO
V Narayanasamy, Sanjay Nirupam (Cong) and Raghuvansh Prasad
Singh (RJD) went to the SP members and requested them to go
back to their seats.
Some angry words from the Speaker later saw the SP
members resuming their seats.
The Speaker said all the members had the protection of the
Chair and if the member still had concerns, the same may be
raised with her later.
The observation by the Speaker came a day after Rajya
Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari shifted the timing of the Question
Hour from 11 am to 2 pm in view of frequent disruptions the
moment the Upper House met for the day.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know