Quraishi writes to PM for speeding electoral refor
New Delhi: Upset over failure of successive
governments to bring key electoral reforms, Chief Election
Commissioner SY Quraishi on Friday wrote to Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh and sought his intervention in speeding up the
Among some of the key electoral reforms suggested by the
poll body and now mentioned by the CEC relate to debarring of
criminals from contesting elections and curbing the role of
money power in elections by bringing transparency in funding
of political parties and getting their accounts audited.
Besides, the CEC has also sought constitutional immunity
to two EC`s as granted to CEC and funding the poll body
through the Consolidated Fund of India, as done in the case of
other constitutional bodies.
Quraishi has listed the key electoral reforms in three
different categories, with some requiring an amendment to the
Constitution, some others an amendment to the Representation
of People Act and yet some others needing only an amendment to
He said there were many reforms which could be brought
into effect by mere amendment of rules by the Ministry of Law
He said even though the EC had proposed electoral reforms
in 1998 and reiterated the same in November 1999, July, 2004,
and October, 2006, with various governments, none of them has
seen the light of the day.
Quraishi has in his letter expressed hope that the reforms
will soon come through.
The CEC said he is "satisfied that the Prime Minister has
always given support to the Election Commission`s electoral
reforms" and would ensure the same are brought in early.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!