R-Day parade: India to showcase military might
New Delhi: Showcasing India`s military
might, the Army will display its T-72 Main Battle Tanks (MBT),
Agni-4 missile and Advance Light Helicopter (ALH) at the
Republic Day parade on Thursday.
"Marching contingents on the Rajpath would include
mounted troops from 61st Cavalry, mechanized columns and 11
regiments of the Indian Army followed by a flypast of ALH from
Army Aviation Corps," said parade second-in-command Major
General Rajbir Singh.
The parade would be commanded by the General Officer
Commanding (GOC) of the Delhi Area, Lieutenant General VK
Maj Gen Singh further informed that the one-and-a-half
hour long parade would begin with national salute followed by
presentation of one Ashok Chakra.
"The parade would begin with the Param Vir Chakra (PVC)
and Ashok Chakra (AC) awardees marching on the Rajpath which
would be followed by the mounted cavalry troops, mechanized
column and three ALH," he said.
Besides Smerch and Pinaka rocket launchers, army
contingent would also feature NBC water purification system,
jammers, and march past by `Canine Force` of the Remount and
Veterinary Corps (RVC).
The army contingent would be followed by the tableaux
from Indian Navy and Indian Air Force (IAF).
While Navy is showcasing a Delhi-class destroyer, IL-38
reconnaissance aircraft and a UAV positioned atop a globe,
IAF`s marching contingent would be followed by the tableau of
C-130J Super Hercules aircraft and Mi-17 choppers.
For the first time, the IAF marching contingent would be
commanded by a women officer Flight Lieutenant Sneha
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!