Radiation detection gadgets to be deployed at Metro stations
New Delhi: Special radiation detection
gadgets and trained personnel will be deployed at the Delhi
Metro stations to combat chemical, biological and nuclear
attacks on the mass transport system in view of the upcoming
While plans have been drawn to "avoid and contain"
Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN)
radiations at the station complexes, a rescue and relief
procedure will also be put in place.
Under the plan, chalked out after a security audit by
central security agencies, a team of National Disaster
Response Force (NDRF) personnel will be spread at various
underground Metro stations.
According to sources, the NDRF team to be pressed during
the mega games at the stations will be drawn from the
Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) counter-disaster unit
stationed at Greater Noida near here.
The personnel will undertake detection, evacuation,
de-contamination, medical aid and relief work once any harmful
radiation erupts at the stations.
"A good number of underground stations will be
operational during Commonwealth Games. Keeping in mind
possible CBRN attacks, different units of the NDRF will be
deployed and gadgets to absorb harmful gases and poisonous
viruses would be installed at the stations," sources said.
The operational Metro stations during the mega games will
go up to 141 from the present 82.
Keeping in view the expansion of Metro operations to
states like Uttar Pradesh (Noida), Haryana (Gurgaon) and the
huge passenger rush during the games, the CISF (which guards
the Delhi Metro) will also induct almost 16,000 security
The NDRF personnel will also impart training to the Metro
staff in combating a CBRN attack, manmade and natural
disasters, sources said.
New suits necessary to be worn by a anti-radiation
combatant are also being procured, they said.
The Rs 330 crore fund alloted to the Home Ministry will
be utilised to procure close circuit television cameras,
different types of metal detectors, equipment for bomb
disposal squads, devices to deal with chemical and biological
attacks, armoured vehicles and various types of weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row