New Delhi: A four-storeyed building went
up in flames and a portion of it collapsed in central Delhi on Sunday after plastic stored in its ground floor caught fire
following suspected short-circuit.
Two firemen suffered injuries when a portion of the
building collapsed following the blaze that was reported from
the building located in Maliwada locality of Naya Sada near
Chowri Bazar at around 5 pm, fire brigade officials said.
The building collapsed around 9:15 pm and the injured
firemen were taken to a nearby hospital.
The multi-storeyed building appeared like a hot
blazing inferno with red flames and thick smokes billowing out
of the structure.
"The raging fire led to the collapse of a portion of
the building. Fire which broke out in the ground floor spread
to the other floors and within no time, it was all over the
building," the officials said.
Twenty-seven fire tenders were rushed to the spot to
douse the fire, the officials said adding the narrow lanes
were an impediment for fire fighters to reach the spot and
initiate the exercise.
Soon after the incident was reported, the officials
said, power supply to the area was snapped while people
residing in the adjoining buildings were evacuated as a
"The building houses a godown of plastic. The approach
to the building was very narrow. We had to park the fire
tenders around 500 metres in the main road and then take the
hoses to the building," the officials said.
Interestingly, at least on ten spots, the hoses were
leaking and a large quantity of water did not reach the
"A lot of water were lost. A large amount of water
were not carried to the spot because of this leakage," the
However, officials said these "minor hitches" did not
affect their operations.