Rahul has to now `look after us all`: Digvijay
New Delhi: Amid speculation that Rahul Gandhi
may be appointed working president of Congress very soon,
party leader Digvijay Singh on Friday suggested that the young
leader should now play a bigger role.
"Rahul has to come in the mainstream. Right now he is
looking only after Youth Congress and the student wing of the
party. I feel now he has to look after us all," Singh told
reporters when asked about the speculation in the media.
Singh is the AICC general secretary in-charge of
poll-bound Uttar Pradesh where Rahul Gandhi is trying hard to
revive the party. The AICC leader is considered close to
There are speculation in media that Rahul could become
the party`s working president and that an announcement in this
regard is likely on November 19, former Prime Minister Indira
A senior party leader speaking on condition of anonymity
said that there is "no confusion that Rahul Gandhi is the next
leader of the Congress and has to become Prime Minister" but
it is for him to decide when to join mainstream.
Asked about the issue, party spokesperson Rashid Alvi had
told reporters a few days back "the internal matters of the
party are not discussed with media. If any decision is taken,
you will come to know."
Top party leaders, speaking on condition of anonymity,
however, have expressed ignorance about any such move.
The talk about Rahul being appointed as Working
President of the party has been doing rounds every time a
fresh controversy has hit the UPA government in the last few
months. The speculation only gained momentum after the surgery
of Congress president Sonia Gandhi in August.
Rahul was also part of the four-member committee
appointed by Sonia to look after Congress affairs during her
treatment in the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'