Rahul, Priyanka donate three-wheelers to disabled
New Delhi: AICC General Secretary Rahul
Gandhi and his sister Priyanka Vadra on Wednesday distributed
three-wheelers to over 200 physically challenged persons here.
However, a few among those who received the free vehicles
requested them to provide petrol allowance too as they could
not afford to buy the fuel due to their low income.
"Thanks for giving us motor cycles. But our income is low
and we should be given petrol allowance too," 35-year-old
Prabhakar Prasad told Gandhi and Vadra as they interacted with
the beneficiaries at the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation here.
"I will look into it," Gandhi told Prasad, who hugged him
and posed for photographs after he was promised that his
demand for increasing the pension given to physically-
challenged persons would also be looked into.
Rahul and Priyanka, Trustee and Executive Trustee of the
Foundation, interacted with almost all the 226 people who were
given motorised three-wheelers by the Foundation and spent
some time with them.
The young scions of the Nehru-Gandhi family went to
almost every single person, exchanged pleasantries with them
and heard their problems.
Sushil, who had come from Jammu, said, "We told him the
problems we face. We get Rs 300 or Rs 400 as pension and we
cannot buy petrol to run the vehicle. So we told him the need
for petrol allowance. He listened to me patiently."
Rahul and Priyanka obliged the beneficiaries by posing
for photographs with them. A few of them hugged the young
leaders and presented shawls and books to them.
At the end of the programme, they also presented mementos
to the donors and sponsors of the Foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...