Rail Budget will have spiralling effect on prices: CPI(M)
New Delhi: Slamming the Railway Budget, CPI(M) on Tuesday said it will hit the common man further through direct hike in freight rates and an indirect hike in passenger fare charges and will have a spiralling effect on prices.
The party said there have been no new announcements in the Railway Budget and expressed apprehensions on the expansion plans of the Railways, saying it is based on the assumptions of external funding which may not fructify.
Concerns were also raised by it on `non-announcement` of any safety measures in the Budget.
"The Railway Budget appears to be populist, but it is not one. In real terms, there is hike in all accessory charges and passengers fares will go up. In practical terms, there is a hike which is camouflaged," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He said the inclusion of Fuel Additional Charges (FAC) as part of inbuilt mechanism for upward revision of fares will result in fare hike twice every year and will add to the burden of price rise, due to which the common man is already suffering.
"The 5 per cent hike in freight rates means a cascading effect on inflation. The Railways` contribution to inflation is going to increase and will have a spiralling effect on prices, which is already breaking the back of common people," he said.
Raising doubts over funding of the Railways expansion plans, Yechury said, "The finances of the Railways is very fragile and none of the plans are likely to fructify."
Party leader Basudeb Acharia said the Budget has not focussed on the expansion of the Rail network and bring unconnected areas under it.
"With growth in the economy, there should be growth in the Railway network. Many areas of the country are still not connected by the Railways," Acharia said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed