Railgate: Key accused seeks quashing of FIR, cognisance order
New Delhi: Suspended Railway Board member Mahesh Kumar, a key accused in the Rs 10 crores cash-for-post railway bribery case, has moved the Delhi High Court seeking quashing of the trial court`s order taking cognisance of CBI`s charge sheet saying the Centre`s approval was not obtained prior to initiating the probe against him.
Justice Sunil Gaur today reserved his order on the plea which also seeks quashing of the FIR lodged against him as well as a stay on the Special CBI court`s proceedings in the case in which nine others including Vijay Singla, nephew of former Railway Minister P K Bansal, are also accused.
Kumar has sought quashing of the May 3, 2013 FIR lodged against him as well as the trial court`s July 4, 2013 order by which it had taken cognisance of the charge sheet in the case saying he was Secretary-level officer and under Delhi Special Police Establishment (DSPE) Act, it was mandatory for CBI to "seek prior approval of the central government before initiating any investigation" against him.
During the arguments, senior advocate U U Lalit, who appeared on behalf of Kumar, questioned the cognisance of the charge sheet saying "if the initiation (of probe) is bad, then as per law laid down, cognisance is bad".
Advocate Narender Mann, who appeared for CBI, submitted that once the investigation starts and the trial court takes cognisance of the charge sheet, then the initiation of the probe cannot be questioned.
CBI had on July 2 filed its charge sheet in the case against 10 accused -- then Member (Staff) of Railway Board Mahesh Kumar, Singla, Managing Director of Bangalore-based G G Tronics India Pvt Limited Manjunath Narain Rao, middlemen Ajay Garg and Sandeep Goyal, Rahul Yadav, Samir Sandhir, Sushil Daga, C V Venugopal and M V Murali Krishan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- China's finance minister sees ''Brexit'' heightening uncertainty for markets
- Is Aamir Khan scared of 'Sultan'? Here's what Salman Khan has to say
- Nissan creates GT-R Drone to match the updated 2017 GT-R
- Neighbouring country trying to destabilise India: Rajnath
- Mahindra First Choice Services enter West Bengal