Railgate: Key accused seeks quashing of FIR, cognisance order
New Delhi: Suspended Railway Board member Mahesh Kumar, a key accused in the Rs 10 crores cash-for-post railway bribery case, has moved the Delhi High Court seeking quashing of the trial court`s order taking cognisance of CBI`s charge sheet saying the Centre`s approval was not obtained prior to initiating the probe against him.
Justice Sunil Gaur today reserved his order on the plea which also seeks quashing of the FIR lodged against him as well as a stay on the Special CBI court`s proceedings in the case in which nine others including Vijay Singla, nephew of former Railway Minister P K Bansal, are also accused.
Kumar has sought quashing of the May 3, 2013 FIR lodged against him as well as the trial court`s July 4, 2013 order by which it had taken cognisance of the charge sheet in the case saying he was Secretary-level officer and under Delhi Special Police Establishment (DSPE) Act, it was mandatory for CBI to "seek prior approval of the central government before initiating any investigation" against him.
During the arguments, senior advocate U U Lalit, who appeared on behalf of Kumar, questioned the cognisance of the charge sheet saying "if the initiation (of probe) is bad, then as per law laid down, cognisance is bad".
Advocate Narender Mann, who appeared for CBI, submitted that once the investigation starts and the trial court takes cognisance of the charge sheet, then the initiation of the probe cannot be questioned.
CBI had on July 2 filed its charge sheet in the case against 10 accused -- then Member (Staff) of Railway Board Mahesh Kumar, Singla, Managing Director of Bangalore-based G G Tronics India Pvt Limited Manjunath Narain Rao, middlemen Ajay Garg and Sandeep Goyal, Rahul Yadav, Samir Sandhir, Sushil Daga, C V Venugopal and M V Murali Krishan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray