Rains bring down mercury in Delhi
New Delhi: Delhi recorded over 40 mm of rains in the first few hours of the monsoon, bringing the mercury down and providing relief to people reeling under heat.
No major traffic snarl or waterlogging was reported from the city as there was no heavy rain in the morning hours though the sky was cloudy and it was drizzling.
The rain gauges at the Safdurjung Weather station measured 40.1 mm of rains between 6 PM yesterday and 8:30 AM today. The Palam station measured 34 mm of rains during the same period.
The showers also brought down the minimum temperature to 23.2 degree Celsius, four degrees below normal. This is the first time in the past over one month that the minimum temperature has come below normal levels.
Monsoon finally hit the capital last evening, after missing the normal onset date of June 29. Last year, monsoon reached the city on June 26 while the year before, it was delayed till July five.
The showers yesterday had triggered waterlogging and traffic snarls across the city, exposing chinks in the preparations of the civic bodies and the city government to tackle the problem.
The earliest onset of monsoon over Delhi during the past 30 years was on June 15, 2008 and while the most delayed onset was on July 26, 1987.
During monsoon, the Weatherman says, if the city gets 645.7 mm of rains, it is considered normal for the capital.
However, this June, Delhi received only one-sixth of the rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM