Rains bring relief from humidity in Delhi, traffic jams too
New Delhi: Traffic snarls were the order of
the day in the national capital today as heavy rains lashed
several parts of the city though Delhiites got some relief
from high humidity.
The showers started at around 3:30 pm and rain gauges
measured 18.5 mm till 8:30 pm. However, the major part of the
rains were between 5:30 pm and 8:30 pm when it recorded 17.5
The city received a total of 360.1 mm of rains since July
five when the south-west monsoon hit the capital.
The weatherman has predicted more rains tomorrow with
temperature oscillating between 26 and 35 degree Celsius.
Due to the rains, vehicular movement was affected in
several areas including South Extension, Ber Sarai, Adchini,
IIT, Ashram, Moolchand and Lajpat Nagar due to waterlogging.
Motorists at the heart of the national capital --
Connaught Place -- also suffered. Vehicular movement on Ashoka
Road, Shankar Road and Talkotora were affected.
Traffic snarls due to waterlogging were also reported
from ISBT, Lala Lajpat Rai Marg, Defence Colony, Lodhi Colony,
Lakmi Nagar, Savitri Cinema, Chirag Delhi, Kisanganj Railway
underpass, Shakti Nagar, Punjabi Bagh, Bagga Link, Sari Pepal
Thala and GTK Depot.
Other affected areas were Okhla, Kalindi Kunj, Azad
Market, Pusa Road, IP flyover, Burari, Wazirabad, Panchseel,
Chandni Chowk, Raj Ghat, Defence Colony, Qutub, Punjabi Bagh,
Shadipur, Bhikaji Kama Place and AIIMS.
The city saw widespread waterlogging despite claims by
MCD of having completed de-silting of storm water drains.
The construction waste lying on roads went into drains in
some areas, leading to waterlogging while dug-up roadsides
with heaps of rubble caused problems for motorists.
The day began with humidity on a higher note, resulting
in inconvenience to the citizens. The humidity oscillated
between 59 and 89 per cent.
The temperature touched a high of 36.6 degree Celsius,
three degrees above normal and a minimum of 26.3 degrees,
which is normal for this time of the year. Yesterday, the
maximum was recorded at 36.6 degree Celsius and minimum was
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5