Rains lash Delhi, throw traffic out of gear
New Delhi: Moderate to heavy rains lashed the national capital on Thursday night bringing much needed respite from sultry weather conditions experienced in the city for the last few days, but also caused water logging and traffic jam in several areas.
According to MeT department, 41.2 mm rains were recorded by 8.30 pm at Safdarjung observatory, which is considered the official reading for the national capital. At Palam observatory, rain gauges measured 87 mm of rainfall.
The evening showers also caused a steep fall in temperature by more than 10 degrees as mercury settled at 26.4 degrees Celsius at 8:30 pm.
However, earlier in the day, the maximum temperature was registered three notches above normal at 36.8 degrees Celsius and the minimum temperature was recorded at 28.9 degree Celsius, two notches above normal. Humidity levels were recorded between 78 and 57 percentage.
Weatherman predicted that light rain will occur through the night.
Weatherman has forecast a generally cloudy sky with possibility of rain or thunderstorms in some parts of the city tomorrow. The maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to remain around 35 and 27 degrees Celsius, respectively.
Yesterday, the maximum had settled at 37.4 degrees Celsius, three notches above normal, while the minimum stood at 27.9 degree Celsius, which was a point above normal.
The showers threw traffic off track as roads were suddenly waterlogged and caught commuters returning home by surprise.
According to Delhi Traffic Police water logging was reported in Dwarka Link Road, Yammuna bridge, under Minto bridge, Mayapuri to Naraina, ISBT to Mori Gate, under Savitri flyover, Dwarka underpass, under Hanuman Setu, Mathura Road ITO Carriageway, Bhairav Mandir, Rajdhani College, in front of ESI Hospital, T-Point Post Office Naraina and in railway underpass at Bharoo Road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees