Rains to reach Delhi in next 2 days
New Delhi: Parched northwest India, including the national capital, is expected to get rains over the next two days, Union Minister Ashwani Kumar said on Wednesday.
"The conditions are now favourable for the advance of the southwest monsoon," Kumar, Minister of State for Earth Sciences, told reporters here.
He said the southwest monsoon had advanced further into parts of Maharashtra, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.
Rain and thundershowers were expected over northwest India, including Delhi, Punjab and Haryana, in the next two days and the monsoon would reach the national capital in the next four-five days, Kumar said.
Asked why monsoon predictions were going wrong, Kumar admitted "there was a margin of error" in the forecasts.
Monsoon rains have been 30 per cent deficient so far and the weather office data showed 82 per cent of the area of the country, including the granary states of Punjab and Haryana, are receiving deficient or scanty rainfall till today.
The country as a whole has received 137.8 mm rainfall as against the normal of 197.7 mm since the onset of monsoon till today.
The maximum temperature would fall by two to four degrees Celsius over northwest, east and central India in the next three days.
This year has seen a delayed onset of monsoon rains over Kerala and they have been making a sluggish progress, drawing concerns from the farming community.
The weather office, however, has only marginally downgraded the seasonal forecast keeping it within the normal range.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm