Rainy Thursday in Delhi
New Delhi: It was a wet Thursday morning in the capital as parts of the city were lashed by heavy rains, reducing traffic to a crawl. Many commuters were seen stranded on their way to work.
The city received a total of 3.7 mm of rainfall from 8.30 am on Wednesday to 8:30 am on Thursday.
Following a spell of light showers early morning, parts of the city, particularly east, central and south, witnessed a heavy downpour. Reduced visibility and waterlogging slowed traffic and caused snarls.
"I usually cover this stretch of road in just 10 minutes. Today I have been stuck here for over half an hour," said Avinash Singh, an advertising professional who takes the Noida Link Road that connects Delhi to suburb Noida.
Numerous two wheeler drivers could be seen taking refuge under flyovers and foot over bridges, waiting for the rains to subside. The scooters and bikes parked on the roadside contributed to the jams, narrowing down the space for flowing traffic.
The Delhi Police said traffic jams were reported from major arterial roads around Saket, Sangam Vihar, Lajpat Nagar and Chirag Dilli in south Delhi, and also from central Delhi`s commercial hub Connaught Place, and Noida Link Road in east Delhi.
The Met office forecast even more rain later in the day.
"The skies will remain overcast and more rains are expected," an official of the India Metrological Department (IMD) said.
The maximum temperature on Thursday is expected to hover around 33 degrees Celsius, while minimum temperature settled a notch below the season`s average at 24.9 degrees Celsius.
Wednesday`s maximum temperature settled a notch above average at 34.4 degrees Celsius while the minimum was three notches below average at 23.7 degrees Celsius.
Since an early arrival of the monsoon this year, the capital has recorded 748.9 mm of rain, 61 percent above average.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference