Raj Kumar Singh to be next Union Home Secretary
New Delhi: Raj Kumar Singh, a 1975 batch
Bihar cadre IAS officer, is all set to be the country`s next
Home Secretary succeeding G K Pillai who retires on June 30.
Singh`s name was cleared by Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh today and a formal notification on his appointment as
the new Home Secretary will be issued soon, official sources
Singh, currently Secretary, Defence Production, in the
Ministry of Defence, had last week appeared before Home
Minister P Chidambaram for an interview, along with a few
others including Punjab Chief Secretary S C Aggarwal.
Singh had met Defence Minister A K Antony on Monday and
expressed his desire to move into the high-profile post in the
Sources said the Defence Minister readily accepted the
request of Singh and assured him that he would be relieved
from the present assignment once a formal decision is taken by
Singh, who had earlier served in the Home Ministry as a
Joint Secretary for about five years, will have a fixed
Pillai, a 1972 batch Kerala cadre IAS officer, took
charge as Home Secretary in June 2009 -- seven months after
the Mumbai terror attack -- and oversaw the complete overhaul
of the country`s security establishment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra