Raj Kumar Singh to be next Union Home Secretary
New Delhi: Raj Kumar Singh, a 1975 batch
Bihar cadre IAS officer, is all set to be the country`s next
Home Secretary succeeding G K Pillai who retires on June 30.
Singh`s name was cleared by Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh today and a formal notification on his appointment as
the new Home Secretary will be issued soon, official sources
Singh, currently Secretary, Defence Production, in the
Ministry of Defence, had last week appeared before Home
Minister P Chidambaram for an interview, along with a few
others including Punjab Chief Secretary S C Aggarwal.
Singh had met Defence Minister A K Antony on Monday and
expressed his desire to move into the high-profile post in the
Sources said the Defence Minister readily accepted the
request of Singh and assured him that he would be relieved
from the present assignment once a formal decision is taken by
Singh, who had earlier served in the Home Ministry as a
Joint Secretary for about five years, will have a fixed
Pillai, a 1972 batch Kerala cadre IAS officer, took
charge as Home Secretary in June 2009 -- seven months after
the Mumbai terror attack -- and oversaw the complete overhaul
of the country`s security establishment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonam Kapoor with Shah Rukh Khan in a film? Here's what the diva has to say!
- Space station gets ready for expansion of inflatable capsule 'BEAM' today
- India home to 56 of the world's 2,000 largest public companies: Forbes
- SRH vs KKR, IPL 2016: Kuldeep's spell; Yuvraj's knock; Bhuvi-Mustafizur's accuracy – three talking points
- This packing hack is just awesome! Watch video