Rajasthan not upto mark in salt consumption: Study
New Delhi: Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan, two top salt producing states of the country, have below the mark figure when it comes to accepted standards of consumption of iodised salt, an AIIMS study has found.
"The national level for consumption of iodised salt is 71 per cent. However, the study revealed that over a decade only 41.9 per cent of the rural population of Tamil Nadu and 50.2 per cent of Rajasthan -- two of the three top producers of surplus salt -- consume iodised salt," Head of the Department of Community Medicine, Dr Chandrakant Pandav said.
Conducted in 2010, the study titled `Iodised Salt Coverage Study` was carried out in eight low performing states that also includes Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Odisha, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
"A similar study was conducted between the year 1999 and 2006 and at that time to 29.2 per cent of rural population of Tamil Nadu and 30.6 per cent of rural Rajasthan had below the national level consumption of iodised salt."
"As per the study the average consumption of iodised salt across the rural population in eight states has not picked up yet and remains at 47.2 per cent which is way below the universal target level of 90 per cent," Senior programme officer of Indian Coalition for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorder (ICCIDD), Dr Kapil Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!