Rakhi Birla inspects govt-run shelter homes
New Delhi: Women and Child Development Minister Rakhi Birla spent an entire night out to get a first-hand feel of the awful condition of those living in various government-run night shelters in the national capital.
The youngest Minister in her Cabinet, 26-year old Rakhi Birla, conducted a surprise inspection of various government- run night shelter homes to assess their conditions and listened to the complaints of the dwellers there.
According to the sources, she started out at 10.40 PM yesterday and continued her visits till 4.15 AM this morning.
"The conditions of the shelter homes are bad as they don`t have any facilities. Sanitation is a major problem here," Birla said.
"And what was more shocking is that toilets in some of the houses are closed. Astonishingly, those incharge at the shelters are not ashamed of lying on camera and are saying that they have not taken any money and keeping the place clean, whereas it was visible how unhygienic and unclean the night shelters were," she added.
"People at the shelters also complained about bad maintenance at these homes. Stench was pervasive at the homes and they were over-crowded," sources said.
She also sought explanations from the officials in charge to explain the condition.
Birla visited shelters in Mangolpuri, Rajouri Garden, Azadpur in Adarsh nagar, Qutub Road, Lori Gate among others.
Birla has been making surprise checks at various government-run shelters ever since she took charge as a minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened