Rakhi Birla inspects govt-run shelter homes
New Delhi: Women and Child Development Minister Rakhi Birla spent an entire night out to get a first-hand feel of the awful condition of those living in various government-run night shelters in the national capital.
The youngest Minister in her Cabinet, 26-year old Rakhi Birla, conducted a surprise inspection of various government- run night shelter homes to assess their conditions and listened to the complaints of the dwellers there.
According to the sources, she started out at 10.40 PM yesterday and continued her visits till 4.15 AM this morning.
"The conditions of the shelter homes are bad as they don`t have any facilities. Sanitation is a major problem here," Birla said.
"And what was more shocking is that toilets in some of the houses are closed. Astonishingly, those incharge at the shelters are not ashamed of lying on camera and are saying that they have not taken any money and keeping the place clean, whereas it was visible how unhygienic and unclean the night shelters were," she added.
"People at the shelters also complained about bad maintenance at these homes. Stench was pervasive at the homes and they were over-crowded," sources said.
She also sought explanations from the officials in charge to explain the condition.
Birla visited shelters in Mangolpuri, Rajouri Garden, Azadpur in Adarsh nagar, Qutub Road, Lori Gate among others.
Birla has been making surprise checks at various government-run shelters ever since she took charge as a minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh