Rallies, public events mark World No Tobacco Day in Delhi
New Delhi: Rallies, mass pledges and other
public events marked the World No Tobacco Day in the capital
on Tuesday as government agencies, NGOs and corporates sought to
enhance awareness against tobacco use which could kill eight
million people by 2030 as per WHO estimates.
The National Cadet Corps organised an anti-tobacco rally
at India Gate lawns here. Similar programmes were held by it
in Connaught Place and Hauz Khas in the city.
A number of NGOs organised events to mark the day while
some joined hands with corporates for awareness campaigns.
The Tobacco Intervention Initiative of the Indian Dental
Association announced a partnership with tobacco cessation
products manufacturer Nicorette. The DSC Limited, which has
built and operates the Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway, launched an
awareness programme jointly with NGO Centre for Transforming
India. It also held a free health camp.
Meanwhile, the MCD`s Rajan Babu Institute for Pulmonary
Medicine and Tuberculosis organised a public lecture and film
screening on harmful effects of tobacco consumption.
Tobacco kills approximately 60 lakh people across the
globe and 10 lakh in India every year. According to the Global
Adult Tobacco Survey of 2010, one-third of all adults (35 per
cent) in India are using tobacco in one form or the other.
The government has recently notified new gory pictorial
warnings for tobacco products packets. India has also ratified
the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC).
According to WHO, the `tobacco epidemic` could kill eight
million people by 2030. ""More needs to be done for the treaty
(FCTC) to achieve its full potential... countries must also
pass, or strengthen, the necessary implementing legislation
and then rigorously enforce it," WHO Director-General Margaret
Chan said in a statement to mark the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka