Ram Singh`s death will not affect case: Cops
New Delhi: The death of Ram Singh, the alleged prime accused of the Dec 16, 2012 Delhi gang-rape, would not affect the case, said police Tuesday.
"The case is on the right track. Ram Singh`s death would not affect the case as we have enough evidence and witnesses," said Anil Kumar, the investigation officer of the gang-rape case.
Ram Singh reportedly committed suicide in Tihar Jail Monday morning. He was one of the six accused in the rape of a 23-year-old woman in a moving bus last year. A magisterial inquiry has been ordered into Ram Singh`s death. His family says he was murdered.
"Ram Singh was one of the prime accused in the case. His death has no relation with the further proceeding in the case," said the investigation officer.
Ram Singh drove the bus in which the gang-rape took place. He was arrested Dec 17, 2012, a day after the brutal gang-rape that ignited protests all across India.
A day-to-day hearing into the case is going on at a fast-track court here.
The other accused who are facing trial are Ram Singh`s brother Mukesh, 26, fruit seller Pawan Gupta, 19, gym instructor Vinay Sharma, 20, and bus cleaner Akshay Thakur, 29. All of them are now in Tihar Jail.
The five accused were formally charged in the Saket fast-track court 18 days after they gang-raped and tortured the trainee physiotherapist, causing multiple-organ failure that led to her death in a Singapore hospital Dec 29.
The sixth accused in the case is a juvenile and his case is before the Juvenile Justice Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- LeT chief Lakhvi`s son was gunned down by Indian troops in Kashmir: David Headley