Ramlila Maidan crackdown: 17 accused appear before court
New Delhi: Ten of the 11 Baba Ramdev`s men and six Delhi Police personnel, charge-sheeted in the case of last year`s midnight police crackdown on yoga guru`s anti-graft campaigners in Ramlilia ground here, on Saturday appeared before a court here in response to its summonses.
The accused persons appeared before Metropolitan Magistrate Anil Kumar.
One of the 11 charge-sheeted associates of Ramdev could not appear before the court.
All the accused persons were supplied with the copies of the charge sheet and other relevant documents and the matter was fixed for further hearing August 23.
Baba Ramdev`s men who have been named in the Delhi Police charge sheet are Ravi Naudiyal, Arun Singh Rana, Yogendra Arya, Sarvamitra, Prem, Surinder Singh, Bhagirath, Hariom, Ram Naresh and Ravindra and one other.
All of them have been booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code for rioting, using arms, unlawful assembly, obstructing policemen from discharging their official duty, injuring them and causing mischief.
They have also been booked under the provisions of the Prevention of Destruction of Public Property Act.
The police has, in its charge sheet, said that in the video footage, the 11 persons can be seen taking law in their hands.
The six charge-sheeted policemen are Sub-Inspector Sushil Kumar, Head Constable Vijender and constables Ravi, Dinesh, Tejinder and Krishan.
They have been indicted for endangering life and personal safety of others.
All accused persons named in the charge sheet were identified with the help of video footage procured from various news channels.
The video footage, along with the statement of witnesses, has also been annexed with the voluminous charge sheet.
The charge sheet has accused the six policemen of using
excessive force on their own without any order from their superiors. It says the accused cops overstepped their briefs and cane-charged the protesters.
The police had earlier told the court that further probe, aimed at identifying other persons involved in committing the offence, is on and a supplementary charge sheet may be filed if they are identified.
On the intervening night of June 4-5, 2011, the police had used force on Ramdev’s followers, including women and children, sleeping in Ramlila Maidan during their anti-corruption stir.
Rajbala, a woman injured in the police swoop, had later succumbed to her injuries.
The apex court had on February 23 ordered prosecution of police personnel and others involved in the mid-night crackdown after taking suo motu cognisance of the media reports showing brutality of police action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly