Ramlila Maidan to get a facelift
New Delhi: Ramlila Maidan, which recently
witnessed the high-voltage protest by Anna Hazare, may soon
get a facelift with top officials of Municipal Corporation of
Delhi (MCD) being asked to prepare a plan for its
Jagdish Mamgain, Chairman of MCD Works Committee, has
asked MCD Commissioner KS Mehra to prepare a plan for
improvement and beautification of Ramlila Maidan, which comes
under the civic agency.
He said during Hazare`s protest, the MCD charged Rs 5,000
per day as rent for the ground and a one-time payment of Rs
1,000 as sanitation charge.
"Against Rs 1,000, MCD has to arrange hundreds of
employees and spend lakhs of rupees on maintenance," he said
asking the Commissioner to prepare a re-development plan and a
management system for Ramlila Maidan immediately.
Mamgain underlined the need for construction of drains,
public-convenience and boundary walls at the Maidan.
"As programmes are organised regularly, there is a need
for permanent arrangement for sanitation and regular repair
work be carried out. Temporary staff or on contract basis may
be recruited for this," he suggested.
The spacious ground which can hold around 30,000 people
at a time was witness to historic rallies and protests like
Jawahar Lal Nehru`s address on Sino-Indian war (1962), Lal
Bahadur Shashtri`s `Jai Jawan Jai Kisan` rally (1965) and
Indira Gandhi`s address on Bangladesh war (1971) beside the
mass rally by Jai Prakash Narayan (1975) during Emergency.
Before Hazare`s protest last month, yoga guru Ramdev also
organised his controversial protest against black money at the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself