Rape by tutor gives profession bad name: Court
New Delhi: Awarding a 10-year sentence to a teacher for raping his minor student, a Delhi court has said that the act "brought a bad name to the institution of learning" and slammed the society for virtual insensitivity towards women.
Crime against women generally and rape in particular was on the increase and, ironically, society appeared to be unconcerned, showing little or no concern for honour of women, the court said.
Additional Sessions Judge Vijay Kumar Dahiya said convicted tutor Hari Shankar Kumar had "shattered the belief of the society in the sanctity of the noble profession of teaching".
"I am convinced that convict deserves no mercy and any leniency shown to the convict would be highly misplaced and the convict is hereby sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for 10 years and fine to the tune of Rs 20,000," the judge said Friday.
The penalty would be paid to the 12-year Class 6 victim as compensation.
Terming the July 2011 rape as a "stigma on the face of the institution of teaching", the court said that in Indian culture a teacher "is always held in high esteem and so much reverence is given to this noble profession that if a person is standing before god and his teacher he will first pay obeisance to the latter".
"The dastardly act committed by the accused has brought bad name to the institution of learning and the accused has shattered the belief of the society in the sanctity of the noble profession of teaching. So the accused does not deserves any leniency," the court said.
The prosecution said the victim used to give home tution from the convict. On the day of the incident, he raped her at her home after bolting her room`s door from inside. He also threatened her not to disclose the incident to anyone.
"The accused was a tutor of the prosecutrix (girl) and he ravished her, and this act of the accused is a stigma on the face of the institution of teaching," the court said.
The court noted that the offence of rape is "barbaric in nature where the victim is ravished like an animal for the fulfillment of desire and lust of another man".
"Sexual violence degrades and humiliates the victim and it leaves behind a traumatic experience. A rapist not only causes physical injuries but more indelibly leaves a scar on the most cherished possession of a woman i.e. her dignity, honour, reputation and, not the least, her chastity. Rape is not only a crime against the person of a woman, it is a crime against the entire society," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered