Rape cases double in Delhi
New Delhi: Delhi has witnessed around four rape cases a day this year, almost double the last year`s rate, in an indication that crime against women has not abated in the capital despite campaigns and stepped up police action.
The city witnessed a total of 181 rapes between January one and February 15, Minister of State for Home Affairs Mullappally Ramachandran told Rajya Sabha in a written question.
An analysis of figures shows that Delhi witnessed four rapes a day in the capital during this period while the average for 2012 was around two. In 2012, the Delhi Police Annual Report said that 706 rape cases were reported.
Last year also saw a 23.43 per cent leap in the number of rape cases compared to 2011 when it registered 572 such incidents in the city.
However, police say that the surge in number of rape cases could not be directly attributed to the law and order situation as more than 97 per cent of rape accused were known to the victims.
Last year, in all the rape cases except 26 cases, the accused were known to the victim -- 207 were family members and 200 friends. Of the 706 cases last year, police say 93.62 per cent of the cases have been solved.
Only last week, the city had witnessed the rape of a seven-year-old girl in a municipal school in north-west Delhi`s Mongolpuri by an unidentified person. Nobody has been arrested in the case.
The city had in December witnessed a series of protest after the December 16 gangrape of the girl, who died in Singapore on December 29.
The government had then initiated several measures to ensure safety of women in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof