Rash driving: Kin of victim to get over Rs 20L compensation
New Delhi: Family members of a 39-year-old man, who died after being run over by a rashly-driven vehicle here last year, have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 20 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT).
MACT`s presiding officer Deepak Jagotra directed Reliance General Insurance Co Ltd, with which the vehicle was insured, to pay a compensation of Rs 20,57,500 to the wife and minor children of Nand Lal Kushwaha.
"In view of the clear testimony of PW1 (wife of deceased) and specially PW2 (son), who is an eyewitness, it has been established on record that the accident had happened due to rash and negligent driving of R1 (driver of vehicle) who had hit the deceased, as a result of which, he died on the spot.
"The entire criminal record of the case further supports and corroborates the case of petitioners in all its material particulars," the tribunal said.
The family members of Nand Lal had approached the tribunal seeking a compensation under provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
According to the complaint, on February 2 last year, Nand Lal, along with his wife and son was walking from Chhawla to Najafgarh here and suddenly a vehicle, being driven in a rash and negligent manner, hit him from behind.
Nand Lal, who was working as an electrician in a private shop, sustained fatal injuries and died on the spot, they said.
The tribunal, after going through the evidence brought before it, awarded the compensation to the family members of the deceased and directed the insurance firm to deposit the amount within 30 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- All Audi India models to get petrol engines by Q1 2017
- India vs West Indies, 1st T20I Preview: Two countries enter new world of cricket in United States
- IIT-Bombay has blacklisted these 9 companies from placements for one year
- US Open: Ramkumar Ramanathan falls in first round of qualifiers
- Gems, jewellery exports up about 12% in Apr-Jul FY17