Rash driving: Kin of victim to get over Rs 20L compensation
New Delhi: Family members of a 39-year-old man, who died after being run over by a rashly-driven vehicle here last year, have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 20 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT).
MACT`s presiding officer Deepak Jagotra directed Reliance General Insurance Co Ltd, with which the vehicle was insured, to pay a compensation of Rs 20,57,500 to the wife and minor children of Nand Lal Kushwaha.
"In view of the clear testimony of PW1 (wife of deceased) and specially PW2 (son), who is an eyewitness, it has been established on record that the accident had happened due to rash and negligent driving of R1 (driver of vehicle) who had hit the deceased, as a result of which, he died on the spot.
"The entire criminal record of the case further supports and corroborates the case of petitioners in all its material particulars," the tribunal said.
The family members of Nand Lal had approached the tribunal seeking a compensation under provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
According to the complaint, on February 2 last year, Nand Lal, along with his wife and son was walking from Chhawla to Najafgarh here and suddenly a vehicle, being driven in a rash and negligent manner, hit him from behind.
Nand Lal, who was working as an electrician in a private shop, sustained fatal injuries and died on the spot, they said.
The tribunal, after going through the evidence brought before it, awarded the compensation to the family members of the deceased and directed the insurance firm to deposit the amount within 30 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town