Rash driving: Kin of victim to get over Rs 20L compensation
New Delhi: Family members of a 39-year-old man, who died after being run over by a rashly-driven vehicle here last year, have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 20 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT).
MACT`s presiding officer Deepak Jagotra directed Reliance General Insurance Co Ltd, with which the vehicle was insured, to pay a compensation of Rs 20,57,500 to the wife and minor children of Nand Lal Kushwaha.
"In view of the clear testimony of PW1 (wife of deceased) and specially PW2 (son), who is an eyewitness, it has been established on record that the accident had happened due to rash and negligent driving of R1 (driver of vehicle) who had hit the deceased, as a result of which, he died on the spot.
"The entire criminal record of the case further supports and corroborates the case of petitioners in all its material particulars," the tribunal said.
The family members of Nand Lal had approached the tribunal seeking a compensation under provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
According to the complaint, on February 2 last year, Nand Lal, along with his wife and son was walking from Chhawla to Najafgarh here and suddenly a vehicle, being driven in a rash and negligent manner, hit him from behind.
Nand Lal, who was working as an electrician in a private shop, sustained fatal injuries and died on the spot, they said.
The tribunal, after going through the evidence brought before it, awarded the compensation to the family members of the deceased and directed the insurance firm to deposit the amount within 30 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls