Ravi Shankar Prasad, BJP`s wild card in Delhi?
New Delhi: The Delhi Assembly Elections in November may see a surprise entry in the race for the BJP’s CM nominee: Ravi Shankar Prasad.
Prasad, a BJP leader from Bihar and the deputy leader of the party in the Rajya Sabha, has emerged as a strong contender owing to the party’s poll strategy. According to sources, the party’s central leadership wants a leader from Purvanchal, an area comprising the eastern end of UP and Bihar.
This would be similar to the move made by the Congress in 1998, when Sheila Dikshit from UP was made the Chief Minister.
Till the last Delhi Assembly Elections, the BJP focused on the Punjabi community and the business class. But a large influx of migrants from eastern UP and Bihar has forced them to frame a new strategy. “The party wants a leader from Purvanchal to make inroads into the migrant vote bank,” a BJP insider said. “Voters from Bihar and eastern UP now comprise one-third of the electorate, making them a deciding
Of course, Prasad will have stiff competition from prominent leaders who are also eyeing the coveted post. Prominent names include Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel, former presidents Vijender Gupta and Dr Harsh Vardhan, and leader of opposition in the Delhi Assembly Vijay Kumar Malhotra.
For the CM post, the BJP also wants a leader with a clean image and one who does not have any affiliation to party factions in the Delhi.
Several other leaders from the region, including Rajiv Pratap Rudy and Shahnawaz Hussain, were also considered. “All these leaders have a clean image and can easily connect with both the educated electorate and migrant workers as their roots are still in Purvanchal,” said a party leader.
However, according to sources, state unit leaders are unhappy that the central leadership took the crucial decision without consulting with them. “They should consult with workers before parachuting a candidate on us. If the party is really interested in a leader from Purvanchal, he should be sent here soon so he can start working on the ground,” said a Delhi BJP leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo