RAW officer, family found dead in South Delhi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Senior officer with the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) was found dead alongwith his wife and two children here on Saturday.
Reports stated that Ananya Chakravarty (52) was found hanging from the ceiling fan at his Sadiq Nagar official quarter today while his wife Jaishri, son Arnab (17) and daughter Disha (12) were found dead in the bedroom.
No suicide note was found in the premises and prima facie it looks like Chakravarthy ended his own life after killing his kin.
“The incident came to light when their maid reached their residence at around 3.30pm and the door was not opened even after she rang the bell several times. She went down and called the guard whose calls too went unanswered. He then informed the neighbours following which the police was informed,” a police official said.
Police got a call around 3:47pm following which a team was rushed to the spot.
“The police team broke open the door and found Chakravarty hanging from a ceiling fan in the drawing room. Bodies of Jaishri and Disha were found in an adjacent bedroom while Arnab’s body was found in another room. There were blood stains all over the house and the bodies bore blunt injury marks,” the official said.
Police said the incident might have taken place on Friday evening but that could be ascertained only after a post-mortem report.
Investigators have recovered a blood stained hammer from the house which they suspect was used to kill Jaishri and the two children. No suicide note has been found in the house. There was no sign of a forced entry in the house, it was closed from inside, police said.
“Prima facie, it seems Chakravarty first killed his family and then committed suicide. We are investigating the case and the exact cause is yet to be ascertained,” police said.
Chakravarty hailed from West Bengal and had been living in the house since the last couple of years. His wife Jaisri was a teacher in a government school, Arnab was a student of class 11 while Disha studied in class 7.
The bodies were moved to AIIMS for post-mortem. Police have questioned the maid, the guard and the neighbours. As the area was inhabited by senior government officials, interaction among them was occasional.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!