Reckless drivers have made Delhi an accident capital: Court
New Delhi: Delhi has become the "accident
capital" and roads here are the "most dangerous" in the world
warranting no leniency towards reckless drivers, a court here
"Roads of Delhi are among the most dangerous than any
other city in the world. Fatalities on Delhi roads surpass
statistics of any other city in the world," Additional
Sessions Judge (ASJ) SS Rathi said.
The remarks were made by the judge while upholding the
conviction of four months sentence to Tejpal Singh, a driver
of a private bus, who had rammed the vehicle into two cars and
two motorbikes at busy ITO traffic intersection in August
1999, injuring several persons.
"As such, the insensitive attitude of drivers like
the convict in hand towards the plight of unsuspecting victims
is appalling. Such reckless drivers do not deserve any
leniency from the court. Courtesy drivers like the convict in
hand, our city Delhi has become accident capital of the
world," the judge said.
The court said the statistics of deaths in road accidents
put Delhi on top, if compared with any other city in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?