Reckless drivers have made Delhi an accident capital: Court
New Delhi: Delhi has become the "accident
capital" and roads here are the "most dangerous" in the world
warranting no leniency towards reckless drivers, a court here
"Roads of Delhi are among the most dangerous than any
other city in the world. Fatalities on Delhi roads surpass
statistics of any other city in the world," Additional
Sessions Judge (ASJ) SS Rathi said.
The remarks were made by the judge while upholding the
conviction of four months sentence to Tejpal Singh, a driver
of a private bus, who had rammed the vehicle into two cars and
two motorbikes at busy ITO traffic intersection in August
1999, injuring several persons.
"As such, the insensitive attitude of drivers like
the convict in hand towards the plight of unsuspecting victims
is appalling. Such reckless drivers do not deserve any
leniency from the court. Courtesy drivers like the convict in
hand, our city Delhi has become accident capital of the
world," the judge said.
The court said the statistics of deaths in road accidents
put Delhi on top, if compared with any other city in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble