Red beacon a legacy of British rule: Arvind Kejriwal
New Delhi: Terming the use of red beacon as a legacy of British rule in India, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday said he will try to abolish the VIP culture wherever he gets a chance.
"The VIP culture should be abolished from the country. It (red beacon) was a part of British Culture. Angrej Chaley gaye, lal batti rah gaye (Britishers left, red beacon remained). We will try to abolish VIP culture wherever we get a chance," Kejriwal told reporters when they asked him whether he will advise chief ministers of other states to do away with beacons.
"It is an individual`s ideology, who am I to give advice? I am a small man, other chief ministers are big people. But we will try to abolish it wherever we get a chance, he added.
To a query regarding his refusal of security, Kejriwal said he wanted to assure the police not to be very concerned about his security.
Showing his palm, the CM said his lifeline is quite long and nothing will happen to him. Kejriwal said he has abandoned his plans to shift to the two five-bedroom duplex flats allotted to him and asked his officers to identify smaller flats.
"Many supporters and friends called me yesterday and expressed their displeasure over the issue of flats. I cannot breach their trust. It is very important and that`s why I have decided to forgo them, said Kejriwal.
He added that until the time he shifts to new accommodation he would function from his Connaught Place party`s office to address public grievances.
Asking the media to scrutinise his every decision, Kejriwal said he would never hesitate to accept his mistakes.
"Please scrutinise us. Keep us on our toes. I will be grateful to you. We will not hesitate to accept our mistakes," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state