Red Fort attack: Alleged LeT terrorist discharged
New Delhi: An alleged LeT member accused of
being involved in the 2000 Red Fort attack along with Modh
Arif, who was awarded death sentence in the case, has been
discharged by a Delhi court for want of linking evidence.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Jain discharged Athruddin
alias Athar Ali, holding that there was no evidence to connect
him with the offence.
Ali is already serving life imprisonment in Lucknow under
the provisions of repealed Prevention of Terrorist Act in
The court held there was nothing against Athruddin except
a disclosure to the police which is not an admissible evidence.
The Special Cell of Delhi Police had alleged Athruddin was
a member of LeT and remained in touch with Arif, who has been
sentenced to death in the case.
He had been slapped with the charges of waging war against
the country, murder, attempt to murder, criminal conspiracy
and other provisions of the Indian Penal Code.
Athruddin was nabbed in 2001 after his name surfaced in
terror activities. The police had brought Athruddin to Delhi
in 2001 but he fled to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia and was declared
a proclaimed offender.
The agency said Arif had disclosed that Athruddin had met
two district commanders of Laskar-e-Toiba and had also
attacked a police party in Srinagar.
In 2004, he came back to India and was planning to set up
terror base in different parts of the country when he was
nabbed by the Lucknow police and was sentenced to life
imprisonment by a designated court in 2009.
The December 22, 2000 Red Fort attack saw LeT men sneaking
into the 17th century monument and opening indiscriminate fire
on the guards of seventh battalion of Rajputana Rifles,
killing three persons, including a civilian.
Arif was the prime accused in the case and awarded capital
punishment. The Delhi High Court and the Supreme Court had
also upheld his death sentence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!